Saturday, February 12, 2011

One failed attempt

So I tried calling an abortion clinic to ask if I could pass along adoption information. The woman told me, "No, we're not into making women feel guilty."

I reassured her it wasn't to make them feel guilty (heaven forbid that someone persuading them to save the child's life should make them feel guilty) but to know there was another option.

The woman said, "They pretty much know their options. They can have the baby, abort or [place] the baby for adoption."

I'm pretty sure I panicked at my first total rejection back pedaled and hung up. Everything I wanted to say would've completely offended her. What I should have said was something along the lines of, "Many women know they can make an adoption plan but they are not aware of the resources available to them. If they choose adoption LDS Family Services could offer counseling before and after placement, they get to choose the family, support groups with other women in their situation, help to find temporary housing or to complete their education."

Oh how I hate the rejection. I'm going to have to wait a couple weeks, 50 prayers, and just as many prep talks (telling myself, "I'M THE WOMAN," "I'M TAKING YOU TO THE MATTRESS." "I'M FIGHTING FOR BABIES") before I try that again. I would much rather be the shy type and have someone give us a baby because we're so wonderful :) Sometimes I hate growing experiences.

1 comment:

  1. That was a very brave thing to do--those people at those places are so jaded and defensive that unfortunately I think you have a rough task ahead, but keep trying!

    ReplyDelete