Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Networking: Making your adoption Happen

Ooooh....why is networking our adoption so hard for me? We went to an adoption conference, got some great ideas about how to spread the word that we want to adopt and I've done next to nothing with that information. But now I'm starting to feel the time has come. I need to be proactive. A suggested plan of action is
1. Do an internet search of anything in the community that might have adoption leads (e.g. search "rape recovery centers in Wa)
2. Call them. Tell them who you are and that you would like to share some adoption information with them. Ask if that would be okay.

I'm just going to stop right here and ask myself, "Why can't I do that step?" I promote adoption in the church. This is just stretching me in a direction I don't even want to go. But never mind, moving right along with the plan:

3. Go into the office personally or send a package with a letter explaining who you are and referencing the conversation you had earlier. Place the materials where they will be seen (materials including information about LDS Family Services, ways to contact us directly if they're interested in placing, adoption education in general, etc).

4. Like any good missionary knows: Follow up, and try to come back, give a presentation, etc.

5. Establish a relationship with these people.

I'm sure this is a great opportunity and I know that if we already had gotten another baby I wouldn't even be thinking of this. And I know this could be a great opportunity to bless someone else's life so that they may learn about adoption. But I just can't get past the weirdness factor right now. I may have to hide this post so that birth parents don't see what a wimp I am. I know Ryan and Ezra would be fearless. I'm so scared I want to cry.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great plan! Heidi you aren't a wimp! You can totally do this! You just spoke at an adoption conference! This is a cinch! This is in your court! In times like these I always think of Moses and how God used another method (Aaron) for Moses to say and do what was needed to be done. We believe in you, and our prayers are always with you! Thank you for your wonderful example!

    ReplyDelete